Sunday 29 August 2010

Changing the Structure

Finally figured out the easiest solution to telling my story in WILL AND THE WORRY DOLLS. Before it was a normal structure of telling the story. Now, I'm having segments of it told by Will who is the narrator. The easiest way I've had explaining the story and certain jokes is when I tell it in the third person. This is also used in most of my favorite movies or tv shows, such as Amelie, DEXTER, and Annie Hall. I wanted to have two narrators to make it a bit funnier and different. So while one is telling the story, another one keeps butting in to ruin it. I thought the best scenario to do this (and easiest way to end the film with Will finding a girlfriend) is by having Will go on one of those cheesy dating shows that give each person a chance to explain who they are. Then the woman chooses their DVD to learn more. That way, I can explain a lot of things about Will, and then he can talk about why he's on such a smarmy dating show to the owner. The owner is a bit like Gob Bluth from Arrested Development. He has no soul and doesn't care. So it's a good contrast between the sensitive Will telling his life story, and the Gob Bluth character who keeps interrupting with the reality. With that structure, I feel I can just connect the dots for the feature script.

Having this mental block was a good lesson on ways to fix it. The easiest one for me is some physical activity. Hiking around Bristol did the trick and I was away from the computer for a bit.
Phew...

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M GOING TO RECREATE

No comments:

Post a Comment